Friday, August 22, 2008

30 years...



Thirty years ago, we were still a few years away from Bill Gates and friends changing the world as we knew it. When I had research to do, I had to go to a library and pour through books that were written at least two years before. Now, I do the vast majority of my research from home. I also do the vast majority of my reading from a screen these days (this can't be a good thing). Every couple of years I buy a bigger screen and more intense reading glasses. I read the daily "paper" online, read and send email to keep up ties with old friends, "window-shop" for new appliances and cars, print coupons for when I really shop. In fact, when the power goes out, I miss the internet the most. We can light a few candles, we can use the BBQ for meals, but it life is rough when the internet goes down.

I wonder what my kids will say was "old fashioned" when they are 44 and looking back 30 years? Of course, I'll only be 74 then. So I look forward to them telling me about it in an email... or maybe a 3-D mail... or maybe when they hyper-link themselves over for a virtual visit.


No comments: